This article will go over fixing an issue where SmarterMail will use a high amount of CPU time at random intervales and how to resolve the issue. This articles applies only to Cloud and Dedicated Servers running Windows 2008.
- First, connect via Remote Desktop. If you are unsure of how to connect via Remote Desktop, please seethis support article.
- Once logged in, go to Start > Run > enter in services.msc and click OK.
- Find SmarterMail Service and click Stop. This will terminate the SmarterMail service momentarily.
- Next, download the .NET 2.0 SDK 64bit Web Installer Platform from Microsoft available here.
- Run Setup.exe once the download finishes and click Run.
- After the first screen appears asking where to install the SDK, leave it as is and click Next.
- Uncheck everything except .NET Development Tools and click Next.
- Click Next to start the software installation.
- Once the installer finishes, click Finish.
- Next, open a Command Prompt on the server. At the command line type the following commands
cd "\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1\Bin" <enter>
CorFlags.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\SmarterTools\SmarterMail\Service\MailService.exe" /32bit+ <enter>
- You can now close this command prompt window.
- Open IIS. There is usually a Desktop icon on the server. If not, navigate to Start > Run > type inetmgrand click OK.
- Select Application Pools from the listing.
- Right-click SmarterMail and select Advanced Settings.
- Change Enable 32-Bit Applications to True and click OK.
- Expand Sites and select SmarterMail.
- Double-click Handler Mappings.
- Remove the first Enabled Entry for *, should be titled AboMapperCustom-134234.
- Start the SmarterMail Service from the services.msc window.
- SmarterMail is now configured to run in 32bit mode on your server which will resolve the issue with high CPU fluctuation by the mailservice.exe process. If you have any questions please contact us.