Government regulations, cost and quality pressures have driven healthcare organizations to consider the possibilities of cloud desktops. According to global technology research and advisory firm Gartner, “Pressure to improve the patient experience compels healthcare delivery organization (HDO) CIOs to consider flexible and efficient healthcare application delivery approaches and to ensure access to patient medical records from any location and device within the boundaries of compliance standards.” However, many CIOs are cautious about implementing a cloud desktop strategy without knowing how it can impact their bottom lines. Read on to learn about the cost savings of cloud desktops over traditional desktops. According to research conducted by the Weill Cornell Medical College, Information Technologies and Services (ITS):
- The cost of cloud desktops over the course of one year is 42% less expensive than managing traditional desktops the traditional way.
- The cost of cloud desktops over three years is 36% less expensive than managing traditional desktops.
The chart below illustrates the cost savings that departments can realize by switching to cloud desktop solutions using thin clients. Thin clients and other slimmed-down devices rely on a network connection to a central server for full processing and don’t do much processing on the hardware itself. Based on a three-year replacement cycle, organizations can save approximately $930.00 per workstation when switching to cloud desktops.
(Courtesy of Weill Cornell Medical College ITS)
In addition to the cost savings, cloud desktops also include the following:
- Secure, remote access to applications from multiple applications
- Ability to provide a secure environment to meet employers’ bring-your-own-device (BYOD) policies
- Services based on a fixed monthly fee
- Flexible, scalable architecture
- Redundant, secure infrastructure
- Ease of maintenance
- Reduced energy consumption
Interested in learning how cloud desktops can reduce your costs and improve organizational efficiencies? Check out our on-demand webinar, Leveraging Cloud Desktops for Business Advantage. Our cloud solution experts stand ready to help you make the switch from traditional desktops to cloud desktops.